Sunday, January 31, 2010

Phone Convo with Bryn .. January 31

I just got off the phone with my dad, he has so many things to tell us it seems like there isn't enough time to get it all in.All he can really say about Haiti, is what an amazing place it is, and that he would like to go back (with myself, mom, Dani, and Steven of course). They now have a chef to cook for them on the compound, and dad says the food is great! He described a few of the meals, they included; fish, rice and beans, and lots of spices. He said its like nothing else he has ever tasted, but its wonderful. He also says the presentation of the food is beautiful. We asked for recipes and my dad said, "there is a little language barrier, so that would be tough. I could have her write them down....but I don't think we would be able to read them." As a group, they paid the chef $100 dollars, that money will be enough to feed their entire crew of about twenty people, for the entire time they are there.Today, a young man asked my dad, "you want coconut?"...my dad replied, "what?" not understanding what the kid was saying to him. The kid said again, "you want coconut?" Dad said yes and the kid started speaking in Creole to his friend. His friend then went to the tree and started to shimmy up the tree. This tree was about 50 feet tall and the young boy made it to the top, knocked down a couple coconuts, and shimmied back down. He sliced the top off the coconut and they were able to drink the coconut milk, and dad said it was great! Then the boy broke the coconut in half and they ate the meat inside. My dad said this was nothing like the coconuts we have here. He said it was very tender and creamy.My dad met a little boy who is 5 years old named Watson (Wat-sown). Every time he sees dad, he runs up to him and gives him a hug. Its nice for my dad to get hugs while he is there. He also says that the people learn English so quickly. They will say something to them, and the people can repeat it back to them.They opened the clinic yesterday and were able to treat about 150 people yesterday, and 120 today. The doctors and nurses are very busy with this. Dad said that many people come because they 'think' they need treatment, the doctors check them out and make sure everything is alright, but the people don't want to leave without something, so the doctors are giving the people vitamins to 'heal' them. He told me a lot about the compound. Like updated earlier, the compound is on a steep mountain. He said there are like five terraces. He walks all the way across one, then up to the next, doing security. Dad says the people there have been so friendly, and they like to get pictures taken, so when he gets home, we will add some pictures to the blog. Thanks everyone for your prayers!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for passing this along to me Bryn :) - I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - I think dad should bring Watson home :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you're posting on this blog so we can read first hand all your dad's wonderful experiences. Sounds like they're really making an impact and helping so many people. Glad he's eating well and has clean water to drink. What a rewarding experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha Ha Dani---I told everyone I was pretty sure that your dad would bring a child home with him. That he would fall in love and wouldn't be able to resist!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would LOVE it if he brought Watson home. Mom thought the same thing. He sounds like such a cutie. Yes they are making such a difference in the lives of those people.
    Thank heavens for people like my dad who are willing to do things like this for others! :)

    ReplyDelete